We Get Treated The Way We Allow

                                      We Get Treated The Way We Allow

You may spasm when you read this but from personal experience,  friends experiences, and just common sense this is my opinion, like it or not. 

Everything one does, says, wears, how they act, etc is a message even if we don't think it should be, it is.

Yes some women look at a guy in the Ren 'tights' and go all pervy on him just as some guys look at a woman in a belly dancer or wench costume and go pervy.

Is the man meaning to say 'look at my privates' any more than the woman is likely to be meaning 'look at my breasts'?  No not necessarily. Regardless of their intent that's the message that they are saying to the world.

For example I altered a dress of mine and meant to just drop the neck enough to NOT feel like I was being strangled when I wore it. I am very new to alterations and managed to drop the neckline too much in front. Though it isn't distasteful per say I do plan to find a piece of lace to add to it to raise the neckline back up so it's not saying 'look at all this cleavage here!!' and take it back to modest but figure flattering.

Why will I bother? because I don't want my garb (costuming) to say one thing when my actions, words, etc say another. Just as I don't want my mundane clothes to be saying I'm a slut, which I'm not, because they are too tight, too low cut, or show all my legs.

If one wants to be treated with respect one has to dress and act the part. This is true in any situation: SCA, school, work, cosplay, Ren Fair, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastering the Art of Critical Thinking: A Guide to Clarity and Precision